These steps will be conducted at the contact teaching session (these are the steps 6-8 of the module assignment). After that you will be able to:
- Import your references from the older version to the new one
- Use RefWorks add-on installed to your browser
- Manually import and edit references
- Save references from important databases of your discipline
- Import full-texts to RefWorks
- Manage folders
- Use Write-N-Cite or Citation Manager for adding citations and create bibliographies into texts.
1. If you have previously used Legacy version of RefWorks, import its content (references, folders, own citation styles) into new RefWorks.
A video for guidance (1:24): Migrating your references from Legacy to new RefWorks.
2. Install a “Save to RefWorks” add-on to your browser. With this add-on you can easily save references from the Web into RefWorks. Test it by saving references with it.
A video for guidance (3:14): Capturing research with Save to RefWorks.
3. References can also be added and edited manually (by using keyboard). If you cannot find e-version of reference anywhere, you have to add it manually. Manual editing is required when you want to make corrections, such as add missing author names. Importing directly from UEF-Finna’s “Search on international e-resources” takes only the first author to RefWorks.
A video for guidance (3:14): Manually adding references.
Add the reference of the following article manually to your RefWorks account: https://doaj.org/article/405d460b4a1a4df2b4ce6b75a6b1310f.
4. Save references from the databases essential of your discipline. Check the discipline-specific databases here.
5. In addition to references, full-texts (PDF) of publications can be imported to RefWorks. Find a full-text of a reference and import it to RefWorks.
A video for guidance (3:08): Finding full-text and saving file attachments.
NB: Click the “Full text availability at UEF” link, not “360 link” as presented in the video.
6. Practice to manage references. Create some folders (e.g. folder for each database). Copy a few references to another folder from the original folder. Transfer a reference from one folder to another one. Delete one reference first and then restore it.
A video for guidance (3:25): Managing folders in RefWorks.
7. Learn to cite and create bibliographies easily. First, install Write-N-Cite to your computer. If you use Word 2016 for Windows or Word for Mac, see part 8 below. Make sure you install proper version of Write-N-Cite.
A video for guidance (1:52): Installing Write-N-Cite.
Then, add citations to your text by using Write-N-Cite. Finally, create a bibliography by using Write-N-Cite.
A video for guidance (2:47): Write-N-Cite Basics.
8. If you are using Word 2016 for Windows or Word 2016 for Mac, you can install and use the Citation Manager instead of Write-N-Cite. If you use older Word version for Mac, we recommend that you install Word 2016. UEF students and staff can get it from IT Services web page -> Computers, Software and Printers -> Get Office-suite for home use.
A video for guidance (3:11): RefWorks Citation Manager for Word.