Mendeley (opens in new window) is a free reference management application. Like RefWorks, Mendeley helps to manage references and generate bibliographies. With Mendeley, you can save pdf files, and read and annotate files. Mendeley provides the user with 2 GB of free web storage space, which is upgradeable at a cost.
Mendeley can be used either via a desktop or via a web version. Mendeley consists of three utility programs:
- Web Importer installed to browser enables importing references and full articles to Mendeley library online easily.
- Mendeley Desktop is a user interface downloaded to your desktop for managing references
- Citation Plugin installed to your text editor (Word, LibreOffice, BibTex) is an add-on utility program, which is needed for adding references and bibliographies to texts.
Mendeley is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone and mobile devices, and desktop and web versions are easily synchronized. Databases e.g. from RefWorks can quickly be imported to Mendeley, and vice versa.
Here are guides to help you to get easily a grip on Mendeley:
- Mendeley Guides (opens in new window).
- Manual Mendeley Reference Manager 1.19.8 (opens in new window).