Are you a great supervisor? Or are you a PhD student, who is excellent in getting all the supervision he/she needs? If not, read our tips for improving yourself!
University of Eastern Finland and TOHTOS project co-organized a seminar and a workshop for PhD students and their supervisors. Our aim was to find the best practices and tools for successful supervision. Here is a list of our results:
Tips for supervisors (by Sanna Vehviläinen)
- Get to know the problem to get it solved. The problem might be something else than it seems at the first glance.
- Let your student know that you are willing to help, have common rules for communication.
- Have informal discussions (coffee breaks, Happy Fridays).
- Make sure that you are aiming at the same goals. Establish a culture.
- Stimulate student’s thinking by feedback. Let the student process and understand.
Tips for PhD students
- Tell your goals, working style and communication style to your supervisor.
- Have goals and structure for all your meetings with your supervisor. Send information beforehand and make memos.
- Find your networks and meet your colleagues in informal settings.
- Balance your working life and free time.
Wish to read more tips and some research background on the subject?
Text by Kristiina Väänänen, pictures Pixabay (CC0)